HOW NOW presents a new concept of special exhibition. The proposal is as follow:
1. Any Chinese artist under the age of 40 may apply.
2. Any art genre, including painting, sculpture, video, and installation is welcome.
3. One curator from How Art Museum will select an artist to research, write and curate an exhibition.
4. This exhibition will be held annually.
5. A complete review of the exhibition will be published every 5 years from an international publishing house along with a comprehensive exhibition open to the public and an international panel discussion.
HOW Art Museum’s mission of the special exhibition is as follow:
We aim to facilitate the dialogue between the artists and the curators. The current contemporary Chinese art world has been highly commercialized, however marginalized in the academia. Many exhibitions portray a strong for-profit characteristic and are very transitory. The young artist’s exhibitions are even more sought after in the market like a monetary investment. HOW Art Museum seeks for a long-term commitment to the development of the artists and encouraging scholarly discussion between the artists and the curators.
Our second mission is to become an incubator for the emerging curators. There are various works in a museum, but the central role belongs to the museum curators. In order for HOW Art Museum to succeed is for our curators to develop their own ideas, extend their research and curate original exhibitions. We hope that in 5 to 10 years, we will see an international biannual director from one of our curators. For this, I plan to provide them all the necessary guidance and support.
From small beginnings come great things.
We ask for your continuous support and attention to HOW NOW 2014, and for new budding relationships between the young artists and curators. Thank you very much.
Yun Cheagab (Director of HOW Art Museum)